Assam Top 10 famous Hindu Temples : Assam is a multi-religious north-eastern state of India. People of Assam are vary religious and they have a strong belief on God. They belief that by visiting religious places like Mandir (Temple), Church, Gurudwara, Maszid is good and their wishes come true. Below we have listed “Assam Top 10 famous Hindu Temples” all over from Assam. This list is based on internationally popularity of the temples.
- Kamakhya Temple : The Kamakhya Temple is in the first position in the list of Assam Top 10 famous Hindu Temples. The Kamakhya Temple is a Hindu temple situated on the Nilachal Hill in western part of Guwahati city of Assam. This temple is dedicated to the Goddess Kamakhya and it is one of the oldest of the 51 Shakti Pithas. This famous temple does not have any image of Shakti inside, but the corner of the temple has the sculpted image of yoni of Goddess. A flowing stream near the stone image keeps it moist. The famous fair Ambubachi Mela, held at Kamakhya Temple every year during the Monsoon Season. It is believed that the presiding goddess of the temple, Devi Kamakhya, the Mother Shakti, goes through her annual cycle of menstruation during this time stretch.
- Siva Doul : The Shiva Doul is the one of the famous temple of Lord Shiva. It is situated in the Sivasagar District on the bank of Sivasagar Tank. It is the Highest Hindu Temple in the whole of India. The entire temple has a height of about 104 feet and a perimeter of 195 feet at the base. Shiva Doul is a group of structures comprising three Hindu temples (Sivadol, Visnudol and Devidol) other shrines, and a museum. The Siva Doul is built by Queen Madambika, wife of the Ahom King Shiva Singha in 1734 AD.
- Balaji Temple : The Balaji Temple is one of the piligrimage and beautiful temple of Assam. It is situated on the Betkuchi Area of Guwahati, 5 km away from Guwahati Center Site. The Balaji Temple is the replica of the famous Tirupati Venkateshwara temple of Southern India.
- Umananda Temple : The Umananda temple is the famous temple of Lord Shiva, located at the Peacock Island (Umananda) in the middle of the Brahmaputra River, Guwahati. This temple is the one of the major attraction of the Guwahati City. It is believed that, when Shiva was in meditation in this hillock, Kamadev interrupted his meditation and hence he was burnt to ashes by the Lord Shiva’s anger and hence this Peacock Island is known as Bhasmakala.
- Basistha Temple : The Basistha Tepmle holds the fifth position of Assam Top 10 famous Hindu Temples. The basistha temple is situated in the South East Corner of Guwahati, known as Basistha Ashram. It is believed that, the ashram is the home of the famous saint Basistha. Than the Ahom King Rajeswar Singha built the Basistha Temple in the Basistha ashram, which is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Hayagriva Madhava Temple : Hayagriva Madhava Temple is situated in the on the Monikut hill, in Hajo of Assam. It is around 30 km to west of Guwahati. It has a stone image of the Hayagriva Madhava. The Hayagriva Madhab Mandir has a big pond near it known as the Madhab Pukhuri. 3 main festival of Assam, Bihu, Doul Jatra and Janmastami are celebrated every year in this temple. However, this temple preaches both Hinduism and Buddhism.
- Nagheriting Shiva Doul : Nagheriting shiva doul (commonly known as Baba Than) situated on a hillock in the Golaghat District. This is one of the beautiful temple build by the Ahom Emporium. It was first constructed by the Kacharis, but due to natural calamities it came into destruction. Then, again it was re-built by the Ahom King Swargadeo Rajeswar Singha.
- Mahamaya Temple : Mahamaya Temple is also known as the Mahamaya Than in the Western Assam. It is situated in the Dhuburi District of Assam, which is one of the the Shakti Pithas temple. It is second to Kamakhya Temple in case of Tourist and Pilgrims. Previously it was originally worshipped the famous Goddes Mahamaya by the Kacharis, Koches and Nath People. In the later stage it was worshipped by all the Hindu people of assam. It has a 400 years history of scarifying the Animals like Buffaloes, goat, pigeon and ducks during the Durga Puja.
- Maha Bhairav Temple : The Maha Bhairav mandir is located at the hillock site of the Tezpur City. This temple is dedicated to the praise of Lord Shiva. This temple was made by the Ahom King Bana to praise to the Lord Shiva. Previously it was built in stone but the renewed temple is made by concrete. The main festival to worship Lord Shivaa is Shivaratri, which is celebrated in the temple with big festivity and people from all over the country.
- Tilinga Mandir : The Tilinga Mandir holds the tenth position of Assam Top Hindu Temples. The tilinga Mandir is a famous Shiva Mandir in upper Assam situated at Bordubi, a small town in Tinsukia District. The Tiling Mandir is famous for the thousands of Bells of various sizes and various materials like bronze, brass, copper and aluminum in the Mandir tied to the big Peepal tree and on its various branches. It is believed that if you wish something to the Lord shiva and you want to fulfil the wish, then you have to donate a bell to this temple.
Thanks for read this article ‘Assam Top 10 famous Hindu Temples‘. Visit us regularly for more interesting updates on Various Fact Of Assam.